Sunday, December 13, 2009

If you're happy and you know it


I have been having a bad couple of weeks, no secrets there. This morning, I decided to sit back and watch "The Dark Knight" again, that scene where the Joker makes the pencil 'disappear" always makes me laugh. In the middle of movie, I realised I had been drifting in and out of it. I kept going back to a certain time period in my past.

When I was about ten, Cartoon Network started a Cartoon Series, Batman- the series they called it. Me and my friends went bonkers every time it came on. I wasn't anything spectacular. just your regular batman, fighting it out with your regular Joker and your regular Penguin. Every time we heard the batman theme song play, however, we'd all drop everything else and sit our little perky asses in front of the TV.

We used to meet to play football, I remember, or soccer, whatever. Even though we played in a tiny soon-to-be-a-parking-lot, semi-grassy are, and even though we made goal posts by keeping two bricks at a certain distance from each other (we couldn't be bothered to go all the way to the community park and wait for our turn at the field), and even though i sucked at football, horribly, I don't remember feeling happier my entire life. I have played football since, on more than one occasion, but its never been the same. We used to start playing around 4 in the afternoon, and we kept on playing till the one kid who bothered to wear a watch screamed "Its Seven!". Boy, you should have seen us run. Batman was on, and come hell or high water we would be at my friend's house in time for us to be seated and listen to the whole theme song play.

Football and batman, ah, the joy those two things brought me. Its amazing, isn't it. Since then, I have been in and out of relationships, been a part of multiple musical ventures, been a part of one of the best undergraduate b-schools the country has to offer and had a milliion friends. Somehow, even though all these things made me happy beyond words, nothing I have ever experienced since Batman -The series, has ever come close in comparison.

It wasn't the show of course, the show is just how i remember that time. It was the freedom, the freedom to watch a TV show every single day without missing a single episode because you had to study, or because you had some or the other task to attend to. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and when I was doing it, I didn't have to think about ANYTHING else.

I miss those times, when I could actually enjoy every moment without worrying about the next, I miss the times when life was about living the now and not planning for the future, I miss batman and the football in the mud that came with it.

I miss me, eight years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment